Thursday, October 30, 2008

Made in Oklahoma

Judy and GeorgiannaSo here in the final days of this campaign and in light of the things that are being said by Georgianna's opponent . . .let me make one thing perfectly clear.

Georgianna Oliver is from Oklahoma. Born here, grew up here, went to high school and college . . .right here, in the fine state of Oklahoma.

I know she is from Oklahoma, because I am from Oklahoma too. I moved to Claremore with my family, because my Dad, who had also been raised in Claremore, wanted to raise me, and my two brothers, in the small town he grew up in. He wanted us to be close to our family and he wanted us to have the same values, opportunities and experiences he did in a small town environment.

My Dad loves Oklahoma, and he only left to find work after he graduated from Oklahoma State University . . .just like Georgianna did. Once my Dad became a father of three, he brought all of us back to Oklahoma to be close to family . . .just like Georgianna did.

So, I ask you . . .at what point did leaving the state of Oklahoma to earn a decent living only to return to raise your kids near family make you any less Oklahoman? Have any of you done that? Do you know anyone who did? I do, including my Dad and Georgianna.

Does it change their values, who they are and what they believe in just because they lived outside of our state? Heck, I've lived in Kansas City for over 15 years and when people ask me where I am from, I still say, Oklahoma.

If you were to ask my Dad he would tell you he was an Okie, through and through.

He would point to his childhood growing up on a farm in Claremore. He would tell you about the old Pharmacy downtown that had the best soda fountain, and he would talk about his first car and cruising up and down the main drag of our small town, just like I did when I went to Claremore High School.

He would tell you of his days at Oklahoma State University, how much he loved that school their football team and how he met my Mom there.

Then he would talk about all of the memories of raising all three kids in Oklahoma and getting us through braces, driver's tests, prom and eventually graduation . . .both high school and college, at both OSU & OU.

And now that he is retired and calls Tulsa and District 1 home, he would tell you that even though he is a registered Republican, he will be voting for Georgianna next Tuesday, November the 4. Because he has known her almost as long as I have . . .and he knows that she was made in Oklahoma, just like he was.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

While she may have some good ideas on some of the issues... John Sullivan has good ideas on all of the issues and he does not promote a social medicine and is 100% opposed to aborton from the moment of conception to birth. Until America stops killing 4000 babies a day... ALL the Other Issues matter far less!

Unknown said...

While she may have some good ideas on some of the issues... John Sullivan has good ideas on all of the issues and he does not promote a social medicine and is 100% opposed to aborton from the moment of conception to birth. Until America stops killing 4000 babies a day... ALL the Other Issues matter far less!